Howard Dean Warns Dems Sarah Palin Could Beat Obama in 2012

Howard Dean, the former Democratic National Committee chairman who helped Democrats capture the White House in 2008, warns that Sarah Palin could defeat President Obama in 2012.

Dean says his fellow Democrats should beware of inside-the-Beltway conventional wisdom that Obama would crush Palin in a general-election contest next year.

“I think she could win,” Dean told The Hill in an interview Friday. “She wouldn’t be my first choice if I were a Republican but I think she could win.”

Dean warns the sluggish economy could have more of a political impact than many Washington strategists and pundits assume.

“Any time you have a contest — particularly when unemployment is as high as it is — nobody gets a walkover,” Dean said. “Whoever the Republicans nominate, including people like Sarah Palin, whom the inside-the-Beltway crowd dismisses — my view is if you get the nomination of a major party, you can win the presidency, I don’t care what people write about you inside the Beltway,” Dean said.

Post Continues on thehill.com

Posted in Politics Tagged with: , ,
418 comments on “Howard Dean Warns Dems Sarah Palin Could Beat Obama in 2012
  1. Paula says:

I don't think he means it. I think he's posturing, plumping for what he perceives to be a weak candidate. I like Palin, but I don't think she's ready for prime time.

• Artimus says:

Screw prime time…give me somebody that likes America, has common sense, and thinks like We The People. I think Palin/Bachman would cure the status quo and business as usual in DC…which needs a good wake-up call. Anything but Barry, Sharai law, socialism, ObamaCare, Chicago Thuggery style of government, bailouts, handouts to union bosses, & league of loafers. Don'cha know!!!

• Patricia the Repubga says:

ARTIMUS, You are so right, but, what worries me is the one's who don't want Obama, but will vote for him simply because a woman or women are running. That is so wrong.

I've stated before and will state again….give the Women a chance! The men have had it from the git go and look where we are. They have a "6th sense" about things, this comes from being a mother and they have a gift from God of being able to have "eyes in the back of their heads", I know my mom did. LOL!

You can't pull much over their heads with these talents and I KNOW either Palin or Bachmann can run circles around what's in the WH now. Try to remember, it's the women who do the HOUSE CLEANING. Right? Don't think for one moment that they won't start from top to bottom and clean the WH and right on down of the riff raff that are in there now.

Go ladies!!!!!

Former USMC WM (Vietnam era)

2. Paula says:

I think Bachmann is more ready, and she's also more acceptable to the mainstream than Palin, who has provoked too much controversy, aimed at destroying her politically, of course, but still I think the slings and arrows directed at her have weakened her chances.

• Where have you been the mSm doesn't Michelle either.

• Sonja42 says:

YES, BUT SERIOUSLY, BACHMAN IS A POLITICIAN, WHICH I AM CAUTIOUS OF, HER ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN THE "REAL" LIFE HAS BEEN MANY MANY YEARS AGO, THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT HER THAT "RINGS UNTRUE" , I THINK IT IS THE "POLITICIAN" ASPECT OF HER THAT I DO NOT LIKE. AT THIS TIME, WITHOUT PALIN RUNNING, BACHMAN WOULD MY CHOICE OVER ALL. IF PALIN RUNS, SHE HAS MY VOTE OVER BACHMAN.

3. Susan says:

I would love to believe that Sarah Palin could beat Obama – and she SHOULD – any conservative should beat Obama! Sometimes I read main stream media articles and the public comments there bewilder me!!! There really are people out there who still like Obama and think he's fabulous!!! Who are these people? Unfortunately these people vote!!! I think who ever the Libertarian/conservative/GOP candidate is – they'll have to OBLITERATE Obama to win the presidency. I think the left will do ANYTHING – lie, steal, cheat, harm, kill, – ANYTHING to win! Who ever Obama's opposing candidate is, he/she has to be backed by ALL who oppose Obama – we cannot have a split vote or waiver on supporting the opposing candidate. I think all people who strongly oppose Obama have a big job ahead – we MUST find a candidate who can win AND one we can trust to do a 180 degree turn with our country.

• Tannersmom says:

I believe what happened in New York to get a Dem elected could happen in 2012. A democrat ran as an independent and took enough votes away from the republicans to give the election to a democrat but they feel that is a mandate from the citizens

• Vagabond says:

Susan those people are dopeheads wellfare beats and bums mixed in with a whole lot of IDIOTS,

4. SeaDragon says:

I think Dean is trying to sabotage the Republican candidates. Palin could beat Obama? This is the woman who said in an interview that Paul Revere warned the British that the Americans would not give up guns. He warned the BRITISH???? Americans????? They were colonists at the time.

If I had to choose between Palin and BHO I think I would just not vote.

• SAM says:

AND THAT IS A VOTE FOR 0BAMA. BE CAREFUL THAT YOU ARE NOT REPEATING THE MSM'S INTERPRETATION OF WHAT SARAH PALIN SAID.

• Patricia the Repubga says:

Seadragon, then you just voted for Obama without pulling the lever.

• Cherieo says:

If you don't vote….then you voted for Obama.

As far as Paul's ride…see Conservidiva's comment. PALIN WAS RIGHT…and yes, she does love this country and knows the history. Don't believe the Liberal Media!!!!

• Lonemusketeer says:

Now that would be REALLY stupid. Mr. Rogers would be a better choice than Obama. No matter the nominee for republican, would be better than the crowning blow of 4 more years of obama the psycho.

5. SAM says:

Don't bet on 0bama losing. Remember the frauds that got him elected the first time. They will be out in full force with the Soros money. Too bad some of the '0bama' money has not reached the people who thought he was going to pay theur mortgage and gas bills.

6. Jieb Jab says:

Bachman / Palin

Do you have any idea what a 100 MPH Right Hook in the jaw of the socialist, progressive democrat party would do with a Bachman / Palin ticket WIN. If we want real change that would blow the Lib's away this is it.

Bachman has the highest rating to stop illegal aliens and career business woman and Palin would set us free of foreign oil and start indicting crooked politicians and ignite the free market base.

The other contenders have to many close tied left issues.

7. RoyfromKs says:

We had better keep our eyes on George Soros ………he's out to get America any way he can and Obama is his tool! Lets just do a O Bin Ladwin on him…..he's just as bad or maybe even worse! Everybody, vote to oppose Obama and his Administration!

8. For those of us who believe prophecy. "…My woman in the White House…"

This made by the same international prophet who told of 911 a year before it happened, and others. http://www.kimclement.com

Even the FBI asked him where Osammy was and he told them 8 years ago…There's that

question again. Just how patriotic are they?

9. JM says:

Palin / Bauchman. Bauchman / Palin.

OR

Palin / Cain. Cain / Palin.

As long as Palin is either. VP. Or. Pres.

OR

Palin / Trump. Trump / Palin.

Sarah Palin has my VOTE

Palin President 2012

10. Chuck says:

I like her politics, but that screeching voice of hers in a crowd, might give water boarding competition. Someone tell her, please, that as a public speaker, it could help to have voice that doesn't sound like fingernails on chalkboard. I've heard there's this thing called a microphone, that eliminates the need for yelling &/or screeching.

• Please do not let her voice interfear with voting for her. American can not servive 4 more years of a non-American Muslim in the white house. He needs to go as quick as possible. He is a danger to American, our Constitution, our freedoms, our standing in the world, and failing at spending cuts and the massive debt he and the socialist Democrats have created.

Obamacrats and he must go or America will be lost along with your freedoms and the Constitution.

• Chuck says:

If Palin ran against Obama I'd vote for her in spite of her screechy voice, but she is a capable woman & I believe she could improve her speaking voice if she chose to. Having said that, I'd prefer someone like Pawlenty, who got Pawlenty accomplished as Governor of Minnesota in spite of how liberal that state is.

• Wanda says:

this is very well said, if we have another four years of this president we are in serious trouble.

• Robert says:

Backman Palin or Palin Backman will be a wining ticket!!! Both of these are more than capable to get the job done. Woman give them a chance to see what they can accomplish. One thing for sure these two are true Americans that believe in the Constitution. As for religion i could care less as long as they do their job and kick out obama the traitor. No capital letter for obama he don't deserve it!!!

• Scottie says:

OH PELASE PAY ATTENTION .IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO VOTE FOR SARAH PALIN BECAUSE OF HER VOICE ,WHAT CHANCE IN HELL DO WE HAVE FOR VOTING FOR ANYONE . YOU NEED TO SITE UP AND PAY ATTION TO OTHER SPEAKERS IN THE HOUSE FOR /FRANK THE MUSH MOUTH /OBAMA WITH HIS LYING MOUTH /HILLARY WITH HER CONDESCENDING MOUTH /PELOSE BOTOX MOUTH /REID SISSY MOUTH /MICHELLE OBAMA HER MOTH ALONE IS LIKE FINGER NAILS ON A BLACKBOARD. DOES IT REALLY MATTER WHAT THERE VOICE SOUNDS LIKE ,NOT FOR ME .IT'S THE TRUTH I WANT TO COME OUT OF THOSE MOUTH THAT ARE WORKING FOR US WE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ,THE ONES THAT WE ARE PAYING FOR . SO PLEASE HOW MANY OF YOU OUT THERE HAVE NICE VOICE ,OR DO YOU JUST WANT ANOTHJER LIAR IN THE WHITE HOUSE /SENATE /CONGRESS/ GOVERNMENT . GIVE SARAH A CHANCE AND I BELIEVE SHE WILL WITH THE HELP OF THE PEOPEL CLEAN HOUSE . AND WE WILL SEE OUR AMERICAN FLAGS BEHING OUR PRESIDENT WHEN HE STANDS AT THE PODIUM NOT A GOLD MUSLIM CURTIAN !!!!GOD BESS AMERICA .!!

• Chuck says:

If Sarah Palin sounded like Uncle Fester from The Adams Family, Gilbert Godfry the comedian, or Daisy Duck, I'd still vote 4 her in a heart beat, over the Marxist Obama.

BUT, Ronald Reagan, one of our greatest Presidents & a solid conservative, to say the least, had an excellent, measured speaking voice, even when it was raised to address a large crowd & I suspect that was no accident, as he understood, as a former actor, that the sound of one's voice was an important factor in public speaking. It just seems to me that a Presidential candidate’s voice, should at all times be at least, if not a pleasant enough voice, a non-irritating voice.

Sarah could do better voice-wise & it might help her if she gets that message & heeds it, to get elected, if she does decide to run.

In a way, running for President for better or worse, is kind of like competing on American Idol, except as President, the most important thing is policy & on American Idol, it’s voice, but in neither can you discount the way you look, the clothes you wear, the message & how it’s delivered, etc. As Shakespeare once said “The whole world’s a stage” & Ronald Reagan said he didn’t know how a person could be President & not be an actor. Ask any actor if the sound of your voice is important.

• Chuck says:

When Nixon debated Kennedy, I think it was said that Nixon won the debate with the radio listeners & Kennedy won where people could see how calm & collected he looked on television, compared to Nixon.

Shakespeare said the worlds a stage & it seems to me if you’re on that stage as a politician, it might take more than good politics to win over your audience & get them to vote for you. Ronald Reagan, a courageous, smart conservative, who could effectively deliver a message with a voice that wasn't irritating, understood that.

11. Ed Dear says:

Shes head and shouldes above what we have now. To many others starting late will muddy up things. Wish one Strong canidate would step up. Ed

• Gene says:

It's not too late. In fact, it's still early.

There are indications that Rick Perry and maybe even Chris Christie will step in. Both are major powerhouses, and both will beat Oblahblah in a landslide. So would Romney, Gingrich, Bachman, and yes, even Palin. You'll see.

12. June says:

Let's face it – -anybody NOT running on the democratic ticket could beat obama-soetoro; even me, and I'm 73!!

• James says:

Me too and I'm 75!!

• nax777 says:

AGAIN; do you people ever listen to yourselves? Quick hit the dislike he’s a mind numbed Dem or Pub. Both sides do this based on views and never on vulgar language that is in tune with the views.

If you have nowhere else to go than the two parties then why are you voting?

Both parties allow Islamists to inter by the half million and growing a year.

Both parties allow Latinos to inter by the millions a year.

Both parties allow a million more from other nations.

That’s at least three million new comers a year folks. US citizens have had a zero population growth for decades yet we swelled from 274 million to 312 million in eight short years!

Both parties allow the very real overpopulation threat.

Both parties allow the death of the American culture and view it as the death of racism.

Both parties allow the global warning myth to live on.

Both parties allow Judeo-Christian values to be stripped from governing bodies.

Both parties allow the creeping police state.

I can go on for days, especially on details. The Pubs and Dems will deny or support these facts based on hair splitting lip service or false sense of security including racism.

Replace the parties with citizens that can be immediately removed by citizens and never serve for a life time. We must take control ourselves. Please join with us at Goooh.com you might be able to click on my name. This will take you to my link page that links to Goooh.com, NumbersUSA.com and SBA-list.org.

P.S. Have you heard of “you cut” @ http://majorityleader.gov/YouCut/

• Robert says:

Me to I'm 81 ,please no Democrat i want to live in peace.

• mr bad example says:

if you run, i will vote for you. i don't wanna run, who makes the schedules? i guess i could, but obama goes a lotta places i don't wanna go. but if i won, i'd stay home and do honest work, not slap-happy BS speeches. i'm not big on vacations, i have 5 weeks for 2011 and as of the end of july, have 4 weeks left, and i golfed once in my life, obama golfed 70 something times in 2 years…. but i bowl better, i haven't bowled in years, but i can clock a 150 game any time, and for $$$, not even hit a gutter. my best game was 298, but i'm an american.

13. Trish says:

Freddy Fudd could beat Obama! He's the worst President this country has ever had!

• James says:

The democrats take all their trash and play "eenie,meenie, minie mow, catch a N word by the toe" and that's how they choose their main dog.

14. mr bad example says:

she has my vote, dipstick "cap and trade/global warming" romney can take the short bus home!

15. Adrian Vance says:

Anybody can beat Obama. His numbers are all phony and supported by the lamestream media. Sarah is showing great skill in outwitting the media ankle-snappers and Romney. Believe in her.

For political analysis,physical science and humor see The Two Minute Conservative at: http://adrianvance.blogspot.com Now on Kindle.

• The Outlaw Josie Wal says:

I DO FULLY BELIEVE IN HER….READ THE ARTICLE ABOUT WHY THE MEDIA SO FIERCLY HATES MS. PALIN….I THINK BACK TO WHEN THE MEDIA HATED DAN QUAIL, BUSH`S VP….[MY MEMORY IS GONE]…WHOM THEY FEAR, THEY SPEW THEIR VENOM AND HATE UPON….I WOULD BE HONORED TO GO FULL TIME AS ONE OF HER SUPPORTERS…THIS IS ONE FINE LADY, THAT WILL CHANGE DC, AND THAT IS CHANGE WE CAN ALL BELIEVE IN…..